Neapolitan Pastiera Made with Rice FlourL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Pastiera Napoletana is a classic Easter pie that has the rather unexpected presence of cooked grains in the rich filling that also includes eggs, ricotta cheese, candied fruit, and orange flower water. In this version, rice flour is used to make the crust, made tender with the addition of eggs and scented with grated lemon zest. Don’t worry if the filling is loose and liquidy before spreading it in the pie shell; it will set up nicely during baking.
- 250 grams rice flour
- 130 grams butter
- 320 grams sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- grated lemon peel
- 200 grams wheat
- 300 milliliters whole milk
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 250 grams ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 100 grams candied fruit
- 100 milliliters orange flower water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
- 1Place the sifted flour on a work surface, cut the butter into pieces and rub the butter together with the flour by using your fingers, until it is of a flaky consistency.
- 2Make a well in the center and add the sugar, the eggs, the lemon peel, and a pinch of salt.
- 3Use a fork and beat the ingredients in the well, beginning to incorporate them with the flour, working quickly.
- 4Shape the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap. and refrigerate it for at least an hour.
- 5Pour the cooked wheat into a saucepan with 200 milliliters of milk, a tablespoon of sugar, a pinch of salt and the shortening.
- 6Stir well and simmer it on low heat for approximately 10 minutes.
- 7Dilute the ricotta cheese in a bowl with 100 milliliters milk.
- 8Beat the 3 eggs with the sugar in a bowl.
- 9Add the ricotta cheese, candied fruits, orange blossom water, vanilla, and the slightly cooled cooked wheat to the egg mixture.
- 10Combine well, the mixture will be rather liquid.
- 11Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- 12Place the sheet of pie crust inside, covering the border as well and keeping some dough for the strips for the top of the pie.
- 13Pour the filling into the pie plate and add some strips of dough to the top in a grid pattern.
- 14Bake for approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the surface is golden.
- 15Turn off the oven, let the pie cool inside with the oven door open.
- 16Once the pie has cooled completely, sprinkle it with powdered sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1280Calories from Fat410|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat410|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.