- 1 cup flour
- 1/8 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (very cold and cubed)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (very cold and cubed)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 apples (large, peeled and diced)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Frangelico (or vanilla or rum)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons milk
- sugar (optional)
- Start dough by whisking dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Add butter and incorporate with a pastry blender until coarse crumbs develop. Add cream cheese and incorporate well.
- Plop in egg yolk and stir with a fork until dough comes together into a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and roll into a uniform ball. Slightly press flat with the palm of your hand and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill at least one hour.
- Once dough has chilled, set it on a floured surface and roll it out to about 10″ x 12″. Cut into sixten even squares. Lay the dough squares on a parchment paper covered baking sheet and set in the freezer to chill.
- In a separate bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice, maple syrup, spices and brown sugar. Make sure to cover all of the apple pieces.
- Take dough out of freezer. Drop about 1 tablespoon of filling into the center of each piece of dough. Fold one pointed edge towards its opposite corner to form a triangle. Crimp edges with a fork along the seams. Repeat with all of the dough.
- Brush a little milk over the top of each turnover and sprinkle with extra sugar if desired. (Pop back into the freezer for a quick chill if the dough is soft.). Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until browned.
PER SERVING *
|Calories560Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.