Check out this low and slow cooked Blade Pork Roast rubbed with stone ground mustard and a sweet spice blend for a recipe worth celebrating!
- 9 pounds pork shoulder roast
- 1/3 cup stone ground mustard
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a roasting pan with foil or parchment paper. If you have a roasting rack, place that in the pan on top of the lining.
- Place your pork roast in a large bowl. Using clean hands, rub all sides with mustard to coat.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together brown sugar, paprika, kosher salt, ground black pepper and garlic powder. Sprinkle the dry mixture all over pork and then rub it in to create a paste with the mustard that coats the roast completely.
- Wrap pork tightly with foil and place on roasting rack (if using). Place in the oven.
- Let pork cook for 5 hours. Then take the pork out, and increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Remove foil from the roast, drain any excess liquid from the pan, and place roast back in the oven, cooking for another 1 1/2 hours, until pork is tender.
- Let pork rest for about 20 minutes before slicing or shredding.
- Serve as is or with your favorite BBQ sauce or try with a mustard-based sauce.
Craig M. 14 Mar
as i suspected, it was great. i went w/ real garlic & onion and treated the best w/ El Gaucho seasonings which helped.