Mussels present the home cook with a conundrum: The shellfish are incredibly inexpensive and quick to cook, making them ideal for weeknight dinners, yet they are also ideal for serving to company. It's admittedly a happy conundrum, since you can do both, and that this recipe, which calls for simmering the mussels with onion, bell peppers, ham, and white wine. Be sure to clean them before cooking and discard any that don't open after cooking.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 green pepper (sliced)
- 1 red pepper (sliced)
- 2 slices ham (cut into strips)
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 kilograms mussels
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil and add chopped onion, peppers and ham.
- Cook for a few minutes until vegetables are slightly tender.
- Add white wine and simmer until the wine evaporates.
- In a separate saucepan, add scrubbed mussels and a pinch of salt and cook over low heat.
- As soon as the mussels open, remove from heat.
- Place mussels in serving dish.
- Pour sauce over mussels and serve immediately.