Bruschetta makes a great appetizer for pretty much any occasion. In place of the classic tomatoes, this version features sauteed mushrooms and a bold sauce for an earthy and delicious snack. The mushrooms are sauteed with white wine and a ton of garlic for a vibrant and bold flavor. Rustic bread is the base for this snack. A few cherry tomatoes finish the dish off and add a bit of freshness.
- 15 garlic cloves
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- sea salt
- olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 150 grams fresh mushrooms
- ground black pepper
- 2 slices rustic bread
- 2 cherry tomatoes
- Peel the garlic cloves.
- Boil the sugar and the water until it caramelizes. Just keep shaking the pan occasionally to prevent burning.
- When the caramel starts getting brown, carefully add the vinegar. Be careful with this step, given the risk of splashing, which may cause burns. The vinegar will stop the caramelization, and prevent the caramel from solidifying when cooled.
- Add the garlic cloves, season with a pinch of salt, cover, and cook until garlic is tender.
- Pour the sauce in a jar.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the unpeeled garlic clove, and cook until the garlic releases its aroma.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, and saute. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook the sliced cherry tomatoes for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over, and cook the other side.
- Heat the grill, and toast the slices of bread. Turn over to toast the other side.
- Pour a little olive oil on each slice of bread.
- Arrange the mushrooms on the bread, and top with the tomatoes. Spread a teaspoon of caramelized garlic sauce on top of the tomatoes, and serve hot.
PER SERVING *
|Calories200Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.