- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (medium, finely chopped)
- 1 large carrot (peeled and grated)
- 1 medium zucchini (grated)
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 35 grams taco seasoning mix (reduced salt)
- 1/4 cup water
- 12 taco shells (warmed)
- 4 romaine (or iceberg lettuce leaves, thinly sliced)
- diced tomato (Garnish: finely, optional)
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add carrot, zucchini, taco seasoning mix and water, cook and stir to mix well. Lower heat to medium, cover and cook about 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Uncover and bring to boil until juices evaporate. To serve, place about ¼ cup (50 mL) filling in each taco shell and top with lettuce and garnish if desired with tomato. Serve with guacamole if desired.
- Makes 12 tacos
- Tips: To save time, buy pre-sliced mushrooms and grate carrot and zucchini in food processor. To warm taco shells separate and place the shells onto a baking tray and heat in 350ºF (180º) for 10 minutes or until hot.
- Variation: Taco Salad: Reduce oil to 1 tbsp (15 mL); add ½ lb (250 g) lean ground beef with onion and cook, stirring often until beef is browned; then add mushrooms, carrot and zucchini and continue as directed above. Serve hot mixture over salad greens; top with sour cream and chopped green onions. Garnish plate with tomato wedges and taco chips.
PER SERVING *
|Calories180Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat60|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.