- 10 pasta (x 3″ squares of, cooked and drained)
- 2 cups wild mushrooms (assortment of dried, hydrated in 2 cups hot water, I love the one’)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (a little pat won’t make you fat!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion (finely sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1/2 cup cream substitute (carnation low fat evaporated milk)
- 1 tablespoon cognac
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- Parmesan (shavings, about 3 per plate)
- Begin by sweating the onions until translucent in the tablespoon of butter and olive oil, add 1 cup of the finely strained mushroom broth and the rehydrated mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are soft (the mushroom broth will evaporate, intensifying the mushroom flavour.
- Add the garlic and cognac and stir until the alcohol has evaporated.
- Pour in the evaporated milk and 1/2 cup of mushroom broth, and simmer until liquid is reduced about 1/4 (there should be enough sauce for about 2-3 tbsps per person).