The current toast trend owes a lot to bruschetta, the age old Italian original that takes thick slices of rustic bread that have been brushed with olive oil and crisped in the oven and then layers on flavorful toppings for serving with an aperivito (and also for lunch). The topping here is a hearty mix of broiled chicken and zucchini plus arugula that's layered on sliced mozzarella, with oregano and olive oil the last minute garnishes.
- 4 slices bread (thick)
- olive oil
- 1 garlic cloves
- 1 zucchini
- ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 slices chicken breasts
- 1 mozzarella cheese (ball)
- 1/2 cup rocket leaves (small)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Brush bread slices with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano.
- Bake until golden.
- Mince garlic clove.
- Remove bread from the oven, and spread minced garlic on it.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise.
- Season zucchini with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Cut chicken breasts in strips and place on the baking sheet with zucchini.
- Roast in preheated oven.
- On the bread slice, arrange sliced mozzarella, grilled zucchini, arugula and chicken.
- Sprinkle with oregano and drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve immediately.