Everyone at the dinner table will be surprised when they bite into these meatballs to find an oozing center of melted cheese!
- 2 pounds 85% lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- black pepper
- 8 ounces mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- grated parmesan cheese (for serving)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Grate or press the garlic cloves into a large mixing bowl. Add the beef, eggs, bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, parmesan cheese, salt, and black pepper, to taste. Using clean hands, work the ingredients together until they are thoroughly combined.
- Roll the meat mixture into balls about 1” in diameter, or 1.5 oz. each, and place on the baking sheet.
- Cut each mozzarella stick into 3 even pieces.
- Slightly flatten a meatball in the palm of your hand and place a piece of mozzarella in the center. Close the meat around the cheese and roll to tightly enclose the cheese. Return the meatballs to the baking sheet.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the middle rack of the preheated oven.
- Bake the meatballs for 16-17 minutes, until cooked through.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven.
- Transfer the meatballs to a large pot and pour in the marinara sauce. Set the pot over medium heat, and bring to a simmer. Simmer the meatballs in the sauce for 3-5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Transfer the meatballs to a serving dish and top with grated parmesan cheese, if desired.