Moussaka is a traditional dish in the Balkans, Middle East, and Greece, in particular. It features eggplant, potatoes, and in some variants, ground meat. This moussaka recipe features a layer of fried potato slices covered with alternating levels of fried eggplant and ground lamb covered with a melty cheese sauce. The lamb is prepared separately in a dutch oven in a white wine tomato sauce featuring mint, cinnamon and cumin.
- 3 potatoes (large, peeled and sliced into 1/2 cm. sheets)
- 4 eggplants (medium, sliced into 1/2 cm. sheets)
- olive oil (for frying)
- olive oil (drizzle)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and diced)
- 1 leg of lamb (boneless and diced)
- 400 grams crushed tomatoes
- 150 milliliters white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bunch fresh mint (diced)
- 1 bunch fresh parsley (diced)
- 90 grams butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 375 milliliters milk
- 1 egg
- 100 grams parmesan cheese (grated)
- Put the eggplant slices into a bowl and sprinkle them with salt. Let them sit for 20 minutes to remove the bitterness then rinse well with water and set aside.
- Heat up 3 fingers width of olive oil in a skillet and fry the potato slices until lightly golden. Set aside.
- In batches, also fry the eggplant slices until golden in the same oil. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, add a drizzle of olive oil. Sprinkle in the cinnamon and cumin and heat up the spices until they become fragrant.
- Add the diced onion to the spices and saute a few minutes on low heat until softened. Add the garlic and lamb and stir to combine.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, mint, and parsley. Salt to taste and let simmer 20 minutes until thickened. Set aside.
- In another heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter for the cheese sauce. Add the flour and whisk to remove any lumps.
- Add the milk to the cheese sauce bit by bit while whisking until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the sauce from heat, add in the egg and Parmesan cheese, and salt to taste. Stir well.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a baking dish.
- Line the bottom of the baking dish with all the potato slices, cover with a layer of meat sauce, then a layer of eggplant. Continue alternating eggplant and meat sauce finishing with eggplant.
- Cover the dish with the cheese sauce and bake 30 minutes until the top is golden and bubbly.
|Calories1000Calories from Fat410|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat410|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.