- 2 pounds potatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 1 eggplant (medium, sliced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion (peeled and finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and finely diced)
- 4 sprigs oregano (chopped)
- 16 ounces chopped tomatoes (canned)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 1 cube vegetable stock
- 2 medium eggs
- 3 tomatoes (large, sliced)
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese (grated)
- Cook the potato slices in boiling salted water for about 10 mins. Drain and leave to cool. Meanwhile spread the eggplant slices out on kitchen paper, sprinkle with salt and leave 10-15 mins. Rinse them quickly then dry them on paper towels.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan, add the eggplant slices and fry until golden brown all over. Drain on paper towels. Season with pepper. Heat the rest of the oil in the pan. Crumble in the beef and cook briefly, then add the onion and garlic. After a minute, add the oregano and canned tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 mins. Season with salt, pepper and cinnamon.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and stir well to make a paste and cook 1-2 mins. Gradually add the milk and crumbled stock cube with 1 cup of hot water, stirring all the time. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 mins. Season and set aside.
- Beat the eggs and stir in 4 tbsp of the white sauce. Stir in the rest of the sauce. Arrange a layer of potatoes, overlapping like roof tiles, in an ovenproof dish. Spoon in half the beef mixture then arrange the eggplant and tomato slices over the top. Spread the rest of the beef mixture over then layer in the last of the potato slices. Pour the white sauce over and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake for about 40 mins until golden and piping hot.
PER SERVING *
|Calories860Calories from Fat420|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat420|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.