- 8 baby eggplant (trimmed, sliced into 3 lengthwise)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 13 1/2 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- sauce (White)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese (grated)
- salad (to serve)
- crusty bread (to serve)
- Preheat broiler. Lightly coat a rectangular baking dish with olive oil.
- Lightly coat eggplant slices with olive oil then arrange on a baking tray. Broil for 2-3 mins per side, until golden brown. Set aside.
- Lightly coat a large frying pan with olive oil. Sauté onion and garlic over high heat for 1-2 mins, until onion is tender. Add ground lamb and cook for 3-4 mins, until browned. Add tomatoes, wine and nutmeg. Season to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 mins, until reduced and thickened.
- Meanwhile, for the white sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 min. Whisk in milk until smooth. Cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 mins. Season to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange 1/3 of the eggplant in the base of prepared dish. Spread 1/2 of the meat sauce over eggplant. Repeat layers, finishing with eggplant. Pour white sauce over top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20-25 mins, until golden brown. Serve with salad and crusty bread.
PER SERVING *
|Calories450Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat230|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.