Bring the flavors of North Africa to your dinner table with this Moroccan version of the classic pot pie. The chicken filling is savory and tender, spiced with a host of spices including cumin, cayenne pepper, turmeric, saffron, and lemon. Flaky phyllo dough covers the chicken filling for a flaky Moroccan pot pie that will warm you from the inside out. Bake time for this Moroccan Pie is 15 to 20 minutes.
- 9 ounces butter
- 1.5 kilograms chicken thighs (1 1/2 kl.)
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (+ extra for garnish)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 bunch coriander (chopped)
- 1 bunch parsley (chopped)
- 100 grams toasted almonds (finely chopped)
- 30 grams powdered sugar
- 1 packet phyllo pastry (ready-made)
- Melt half the butter in a deep, heavy pan.
- Brown the meat on both sides and add the onions. Cook until soft.
- Add the garlic, cinnamon, ginger, cumin, cayenne pepper, turmeric, and saffron in water.
- Pour in enough water to cover the chicken, season to taste, cover and cook on low for 1 hour or until the meat is tender and comes away from the bone.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the pan, de-bone and remove skin by hand. Set aside.
- Add the lemon juice, coriander, and parsley to the meat juices leftover in the pan. Cook until thickened.
- Add the chicken. Allow the liquid to evaporate to leave just enough to moisten the filling.
- Combine the almonds, sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter and grease a round baking tin, 23 centimeters in diameter.
- Place the phyllo pastry sheets on a damp tea towel and cover them with another damp towel to avoid drying out during the preparation process.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Brush a sheet of pastry with oil and line the base of the pan, allowing about half the sheet to cover the sides and overlap.
- Repeat this operation with 5 or 6 more pastry sheets, ensuring they overlap and leave no gaps.
- Spread the chicken filling over the pastry sheets and cover with 3 more sheets. Brush with olive oil, and spread the almond mixture over the pastry.
- Fold over the pastry sheets into the center and brush with oil.
- To decorate the pastilla, brush 4 or 5 pastry sheets with oil, and cut into quarters.
- Pinch the pastry into rosettes and arrange on the top of the pastilla.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes, or until golden.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1490Calories from Fat1100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat1100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.