Harira is a traditional moroccan soup made with lamb, chickpeas, lentils, rice and packed with a punch of flavor in every spoonful. Seasoned with ginger, cinnamon, saffron, and turmeric, this moroccan inspired soup is a great hot meal for those espe…
ially cold days.
- 200 grams chickpeas
- 100 grams lentils
- 100 grams rice
- 1 brown onion (finely chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (finely chopped)
- 3 tomatoes (large, coarsely chopped)
- 400 grams lamb cubes
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 0.5 liters water (boiled)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 125 milliliters chicken stock
- cilantro leaves (or mint leaves)
- ground black pepper
- lemon slices
- Soak dried chickpeas overnight in a bowl filled with water; or use canned chickpeas.
- Melt the butter in a large pot.
- Fry the onion, celery, and garlic until the onion is tender.
- Add ginger, cinnamon, pepper, turmeric, and a pinch of saffron, cook until aromas are released.
- Add the lamb, simmer for 10 minutes so the spices penetrate the meat.
- Add chickpeas and tomatoes, keep stirring until the tomatoes are tender.
- Pour in water, and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Add the lentils and rice.
- Mix the flour with chicken stock. Pour the mixture into the pan. Continue cooking and stirring until the soup thickens, and the rice is cooked, for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Garnish with coriander or mint leaves, and lemon slices.
|Calories540Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.