Monkfish and Shrimp RiceHoje para Jantar
This rustic dish is a good option for cold weather comfort. The broth that's used to cook the rice is made by boiling the shrimp shells and heads with seasonings, then pureeing and straining. The monkfish is cooked first with the aromatics and vegetables, then removed and the rice is added to the same pan with that infused broth. The shrimp are simply sauteed with garlic, and this can be done while the rice is cooking so everything is ready at the same time.
- 125 grams large shrimp
- 1 bay leaf
- chile pepper (ground, to taste)
- 100 milliliters olive oil
- 1 onions (large)
- 1 tomatoes (ripe)
- 1 red pepper
- 1 package monkfish
- 350 grams paella rice
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 sprig fresh coriander
- 1Clean and peel shrimp and remove heads, being careful to leave tails attached.
- 2Cook shrimp shells and heads in 1.5 liters (approximately 6 cups) boiling, salted water with bay leaf and chile pepper.
- 3Boil for about 5 minutes, grind in the blender and strain broth through a sieve or cheesecloth.
- 4Set aside broth for cooking rice. In a pan, heat 50 ml (approximately ¼ cup) olive oil and add chopped onion.
- 5Braise for a few minutes until it starts to soften.
- 6Blanch tomatoes for a few seconds in boiling water and peel, quarter, core and cut into small cubes.
- 7Add tomatoes to pan.
- 8Cut pepper into thin slices and add to pan.
- 9Add monkfish and cook for a few minutes.
- 10Remove fish and add shrimp broth and bring to a boil.
- 11Add rice and stir to loosen. Season to taste and cook over low heat.
- 12A few minutes before the rice is finished cooking, return monkfish to pan and mix in with rice.
- 13In a frying pan, heat remaining oil.
- 14Add finely chopped garlic cloves and shrimp.
- 15Sauté until shrimp changes color.
- 16Remove shrimp from heat and set aside for garnish.
- 17Cook rice until done for about 10 minutes.
- 18To serve, transfer rice mixture to serving platter.
- 19Garnish with fried shrimp and chopped cilantro.
PER SERVING *
|Calories250Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.