- 1/4 ounce active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds (ground toasted)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup salted butter (melted)
- 4 ounces sausage links (fresh Italian, removed from)
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup salted butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1Mix yeast and water in small bowl. Let stand 10 minutes or until frothy.
- 2Combine flours, sugar, fennel and salt in Bowl of KitchenAid® Artisan Stand Mixer. Attach Bowl and Flat Beater to Mixer. Turn to Speed 3 and mix 1 minute or until combined.
- 3Continuing on Speed 3, add yeast mixture and 1/4 cup melted butter; mix until just incorporated. Remove Flat Beater and attach Dough Hook. Turn to Speed 4 and knead 7 minutes. Place dough in large, lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in warm place 2 hours or until doubled in size. Wash and dry bowl and beater.
- 4Add sausage, cheese, 1 cup melted butter and herbs to clean Mixer Bowl. Attach Bowl and Flat Beater to Mixer. Turn to Speed 3 and mix 3 minutes or until smooth and glossy.
- 5Punch down dough and shape into several ½-ounce balls. Dip each ball into sausage mixture and arrange between two lightly greased and floured 9x5-inch loaf pans. Arrange balls randomly in pan, layering again with sausage mixture. There should be enough to make a minimum of three layers. Cover and let rise in warm place 45 minutes.
- 6Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake 40 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack 45 minutes. Wrap and refrigerate leftovers up to 2 days.
- 7Chef’s Tip: Substitute ¼ cup dried Italian herbs for the combination of fresh cilantro, parsley and thyme.