Mom's Turnip Greens & RiceHoje para Jantar
This simple rice dish comes together quickly for a flavorful and hearty side dish. The rice is lightly seasoned with garlic and bay leaf for a savory flavor. Broccoli rabe is cooked right with the rice, which means this dish comes together in just one pan. You can serve this with swordfish or another protein of your choice. If you cannot find broccoli rabe, try this simple recipe with cabbage or a hearty green, such as kale or turnip greens.
- 1 bunch turnip greens
- 1 1/2 cups Carolino rice (" rice, approx. 200ml)
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 laurel leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- olive oil (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- 1Arrange the turnip greens, withdrawing the stiff stems.
- 2Cut them and put them in a bowl.
- 3Blanch the greens with hot water and then rinse them in cold water.
- 4Pour a little olive oil in a pan and add the garlic with the peel and bay leaf.
- 5Fry until the garlic starts to get golden.
- 6Remove it from the pan.
- 7Heat the 3 cups of water.
- 8Add the rice to the oil and fry over low heat.
- 9Stir to fry evenly.
- 10When the rice is fried, add the hot water.
- 11Stir, season with a pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- 12Add the turnip greens and serve immediately as soon as the rice is cooked.
- 13Serve with fried swordfish.