Baked meringues are the epitome of "ethereal." Made by beating egg whites with sugar, they are light and airy and melt in your mouth. This recipe also calls for caramel syrup to be added to the meringue, which is then baked in a Bundt pan that's set…
in a hot water bath (to ensure even cooking) for a mere 8 minutes. Be sure to let the meringue cool completely in the oven, with the door propped just a bit.
- 8 egg whites
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons caramel syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- caramel syrup (to grease the pan)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Whisk egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, vanilla extract and caramel.
- Continue beating until mixture is stiff.
- Generously grease a Bundt cake pan with caramel syrup.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Place in a water bath and bake for about 8 minutes.
- Turn off oven and open the oven door to cool.
- Once it is cooled, remove from oven.
- Remove from pan and refrigerate until chilled.