Molasses Black Pepper Glazed HamPork
This recipe was developed by Chef Kent Rathbun of Abacus Restaurant in Dallas. Serve with scalloped potatoes, snow peas, and crusty bread.
- 1 fully cooked bone-in ham (10-12 pounds)
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon black pepper (coarsely ground)
- 1Place ham in shallow roasting pan; score a diamond pattern about 1/8-inch thick into the upper surface of the ham. Position rack in the lower third of the oven; heat to 325 degrees F. Place ham in oven and bake until internal temperature, as measured with a meat thermometer, reads 130 degrees F., about 1 1/2-2 hours.
- 2Meanwhile, in a small saucepan bring the orange juice to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and reduce the orange juice by about half, stirring occasionally, about 15-20 minutes. Stir in honey, molasses, brown sugar, mustard and pepper. Simmer slowly until thickened, about 25-30 minutes. Set aside.
- 3When ham reaches 130 degrees F., start basting: Using a pastry brush, brush the glaze generously on all surfaces of the ham. Continue to bake for 10 minutes; baste again two more times, until internal temperature of ham reaches 140 degrees F. Remove from the oven and let the ham rest in roasting pan on a rack for at least 10 minutes, or up to 30 minutes. Baste with the drippings in the bottom of the pan a few times before carving.
- 4Serves about 20, with leftovers.
PER SERVING *
|Calories45Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat┅|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.