- 1/4 pound serrano chiles
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds brussels sprouts (cleaned, trimmed, cut in half lengthwise)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots (peeled, sliced thinly)
- 2 cups white onion (julienned)
- 6 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 18 black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 1. Poke several small holes in Serrano peppers with a pairing knife. Heat 1 Tbs. of oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chilies, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the skins begin to blister (3-8 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a non-reactive bowl.
- 2. Add another tablespoon of oil to the Dutch oven and add the Brussels sprouts to the pot. Allow the Brussels sprouts to get a bit browned before stirring. Cook for an additional 2-4 minutes. Remove from the pot and place in the same bowl as the peppers.
- 3. Add the last 2 tablespoons of oil to the Dutch oven and cook the carrots and onion until just wilted. Remove and place in the bowl with the other vegetables.
- 4. Add the garlic, peppercorns and salt to the bowl with the vegetables. Bring the water and vinegar to a boil in a large saucepan. Carefully pour over the vegetables and allow to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until ready to serve.