If you think you just have to follow the instructions on the box of cake mix, think again: Here, mocha flavored cake mix is instead combined with eggs, milk, and softened margarine to make an incredibly moist and delicious cake layer -- make that two cake layers that are then filled with sweetened whipped cream and garnished with shaved chocolate. Cider vinegar is added to the whipped cream to help hold the peaks (and to balance out the sweetness).
- 1 package mocha coffee cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 100 milliliters milk
- 100 grams margarine (softened)
- 400 grams heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- chocolate shavings
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Combine cake mix with eggs and milk.
- Pour batter into two greased and floured round cake pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes.
- Cake is done when toothpick inserted in the middle of cake comes out clean.
- Whip cream with sugar and 4 drops of apple cider vinegar until stiff peaks form.
- Refrigerate whipped cream.
- Let cakes cool completely.
- Remove from pan and cover each layer with whipped cream.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings.