- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups rice
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 quart fish stock (or chicken broth)
- 1 pound sausage casing (chorizo, removed)
- 1 spanish onion (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 3/4 pound deveined shrimp (peeled and)
- 1/2 pound white fish (firm, cut into bite-size pieces)
- 24 mussels (mediums, cleaned)
- 1 cup peas
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- 1 lemon (cut into wedges)
- I a very large non-stick skillet or paella pan preheated over medium-high heat, add 2 teaspoons of your oil (you will need more oil if you're not using non-stick), garlic, red pepper flakes and rice. Saute for about 3 minutes. Add saffron, thyme, bay leaf and broth and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Leave covered, do not stir.
- In another non-stick skillet, heat to medium-high. Add chorizo and crumble as you saute. When the sausage is cooked through, add red pepper and onion. Salt and pepper to taste if needed. Saute until the onion is tender and remove from heat, set aside.
- When the rice is nearly done (about 15 minutes) add fish and shrimp and press into rice. Add mussels, peas and sprinkle with lemon zest. Cover and continue to simmer until the rice is done and the mussels have opened. Discard any that do not.
- Top with chorizo mixture and parsley. Serve with lemon wedges and a crusty bread.
|Calories390Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.