- 16 ounces chicken breasts boneless skinless
- cracked pepper
- 1 garlic
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ginger (grated)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- sushi rice
- 2 cups sushi rice (rinsed several times, to decrease starch)
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons mirin (rice wine vinegar<)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (good quality)
- 1 tablespoon barley malt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 2 carrot (julienne cut)
- 3 green onion (sliced)
- Preheat oven to 350 .Season chicken breasts very lightly with salt and cracked black pepper. Combine garlic, soy and ginger in a small bowl. Stir and rub over chicken.
- Heat a large skillet and add sesame oil and 1 tsp. vegetable oil. When oil is hot, add chicken and sear until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Alternately, rub chicken with sesame oil and grill on BBQ.
- Transfer chicken to a small roasting pan and bake for about 10-12 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Sushi Rice:At this point, prepare the sushi rice by covering rinsed rice with water in small pot Bring water to boil and boil 1 minute.
- Reduce to lowest heat and simmer 10 minutes, covered securely. Do not open.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Combine mirin and sugar in a small bowl and pour over rice, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Sauce:Meanwhile, return same pan that chicken was seared in, to medium heat and add 1 Tbsp. of vegetable oil. Saute the onion until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock, mirin and soy sauce.
- Reduce for 2 minutes and add the barley malt, if desired, the miso, carrots and the green onions. Stir well and simmer for 1 minute, just to blend flavours.
- Season to taste.
PER SERVING *
|Calories800Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat100|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.