Lamb is a decadent and rich meat that brings a wonderful heartiness to a meal. This Minty Lamb Soup is flavorful and perfect for a family dinner, holiday party or special occasion. This recipe combines a succulent lamb brisket or brisket and neck with decadent vegetables and aromatic spices for a dish. We hope you and your loved ones enjoy this succulent soup as much as we do. Happy cooking!
- 1.5 kilograms brisket (lamb, or a mixture of brisket and neck)
- 1 whole leek (washed)
- 1 whole carrot (peeled)
- 1 stick celery (green)
- 1 onion (peeled, + 1/2 onion, chopped)
- olive oil (Drizzle of)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon spice (ras el hanout)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon harissa (to taste)
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 1 bunch mint
- In a large heavy saucepan, add the lamb, leek, carrot, celery and whole onion.
- Cover with water, season, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours until the lamb is tender and comes away from the bone.
- Remove the meat and leave to cool slightly.
- Keep the carrot and celery and set aside.
- Strain the stock, and discard the remains of the leek and onion. Set aside the stock.
- Remove the meat from the bones and shred the meat by hand. Set aside.
- Chop the celery and carrot into chunks.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a deep, heavy pan and fry the chopped onion until soft.
- Add the ras el hanout spice, cinnamon, and ginger. Stir and allow the flavors to infuse.
- Add the meat, garlic, tomato paste, and harissa. Stir all the ingredients together well.
- Cover with 1 1/2 liter of the stock, and bring to a boil.
- Add the chopped carrot and celery, and the couscous.
- Turn off the heat and leave to rest in the hot stock until the couscous doubles in size.
- Garnish with a few mint leaves on top
PER SERVING *
|Calories750Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.