An individual take on the time-honored Easter wheat pie, these mini pies are fragrant with orange, lemon zest and cinnamon, and they're studded with candied orange peel. Their interesting texture comes from the addition of ricotta cheese and cooked wheat. Dust them with powdered sugar before serving.
- 200 grams all purpose flour
- 100 grams butter
- 80 grams powdered sugar (sifted)
- 2 egg yolks
- 250 grams wheat (cooked)
- 150 grams milk (+ 125 gr. milk)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (+ 200 gr. sugar)
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom extract
- lemon peel
- ground cinnamon
- 250 grams ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange extract
- 70 grams candied orange peel (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Prepare the crust with the cold butter method:
- Place the sifted flour on a work surface.
- Remove the butter from the refrigerator, cut it into small pieces and begin to work it with the flour by using the tips of your fingers and rubbing them together until the mixture resembles oatmeal.
- Make a well in the center of this flour and butter mixture and add the sugar, egg yolks, a pinch of salt, and an extract of your choice, if you like.
- Beat these ingredients in the well (not the flour) together with a fork until combined, then cover with the flour all around.
- Using a spatula, bring the ingredients together to be well combined, do not overwork the dough, just roll it around briefly on the work surface.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator to chill. If the dough is too dry and hard to keep together, break up the dough, add a few drops of water on it and knead it together again. Then refrigerate the dough again to chill well before using it.
- Prepare the Pastiera:
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Place the cooked wheat in a saucepan with 150 grams of milk, a tablespoon of sugar, a pinch of salt, 2 tablespoons of orange blossom extract, the lemon peel, and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Combine the ingredients and simmer on low heat for approximately 10 minutes. Let the mixture cool slightly.
- In a bowl, combine the 250 grams of ricotta cheese with the remaining 125 grams of milk.
- Beat the 3 eggs in a bowl with 200 grams of sugar and 2 tablespoons of orange extract.
- Add the ricotta cheese and milk mixture to the beaten eggs, add the candied orange peel, the vanilla extract, and the cooked wheat.
- Combine the ingredients well, the mixture will be of a liquid consistency.
- Butter and flour the mini-pie plates.
- Cover the pie plates completely with the pie crust.
- Place a few tablespoons of the filling in the pie plates.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the surface is golden.
- Cool the pies in the oven with the door open.
- Once the pies have cooled completely, remove them from the pie plates and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories960Calories from Fat330|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat330|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.