Creamy coconut ice cream and mini meringues, a great summertime combination. Made with both coconut milk and grated coconut, this ice cream is full of the tropical flavor. Preparation instructions in this recipe are for an ice cream machine and addi…
ional instructions are available for those who do not have an ice cream maker. While the ice cream is chilling, prepare the mini meringues. You can make them as colorful as you want by painting a line of food coloring gel on the inside of the piping bag before you pipe the meringues. Get creative and enjoy.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 200 grams sugar
- 1 food coloring (disposable piping bag, nozzle, and, gels)
- Place the milk, egg yolks, and sugar in a heavy based pan, and gently heat on medium–low, stirring continuously with a whisk.
- When the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat to minimum and continue to stir until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat, add the syrup, coconut, and vanilla. Stir well and leave to cool.
- Whip the cream and gently add to the mixture.
- Place in an ice cream maker and follow the instructions. Freeze for at least 2 hours until firm.
- If not using an ice cream maker, transfer the mixture to a metal container and place in the freezer until it begins to set.
- Remove from the freezer, stir with a whisk and return to freezer.
- Repeat this action at least twice.
- For the meringues, pre-heat the oven to 100C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Whisk the egg whites with the vanilla and a pinch of salt.
- When they begin to turn frothy, add the sugar, a little at a time, and continue to whisk on medium speed, until stiff and smooth. Set aside.
- Place the nozzle into the piping bag. Paint a thin line with the food coloring gels from the point of the nozzle to the edge of the bag.
- Repeat this action for as many lines or colors needed, taking care to keep the bag open so as not to let the colors mix.
- Fill the bag with the meringue and pipe small portions, 4 cm diameter, onto the baking tray, ensuring they are well spaced out.
- The meringues will emerge from the bag tinted with colors.
- Bake for 45 minutes–1 hour. To test if done, insert a knife under the meringue–if it comes loose immediately it is done. If not, continue to cook a little longer.
- Serve with coconut ice cream.
|Calories1090Calories from Fat560|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat560|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.