These mini souffles are a nice addition to a bunch buffet or as a light summer lunch with a salad.
- 1 cup smoked ham (fully cooked, diced)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup mushrooms (sliced)
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded, 4 ounces)
- 6 eggs (separated)
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a medium saucepan melt butter. Add mushrooms and saute till tender. Remove mushrooms, reserving drippings in pan. Stir flour, salt and pepper into drippings till smooth. Gradually stir in milk; cook over medium-high heat till thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring till melted. Stir in mushrooms and ham.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed of electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Using clean beaters, beat egg yolks till thickened and lemon-colored, about 5 minutes. Fold ham mixture into yolks. Pour the yolk mixture over beaten egg whites; fold gently. Spoon mixture into 6 ungreased 1 1/2-cup souffle dishes. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 45-50 minutes or till a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Serve immediately.