Mini German Chocolate Cakes for 2, Gluten FreeFoodista
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour (see notes)
- 1 ounce sweet chocolate (semi-, chopped)
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (or half and half, heated until almost boiling)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (at room temperature)
- 1 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free caramel sauce
- 1/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes (toasted according to package instructions)
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans (toasted)
- 1 cup chocolate frosting (your favorite)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease cans with butter, lightly dust with your favorite all purpose flour blend or sweet rice flour (shaking the excess free) and place a small round of parchment paper at the bottom. Set aside.
- 2In a small, heatproof bowl, combine hot cream with chocolate and whisk well until the chocolate is completely melted. Allow chocolate ganache to cool slightly.
- 3Combine sour cream, egg yolk, oil and vanilla in a small bowl, mixing well. Add the ganache and whisk well to blend.
- 4Whisk together flour blend, sugar, baking soda and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the liquid ingredients and stir well until just mixed.
- 5Evenly divide the batter between the two prepared baking cans, spooning the mixture carefully and smoothing any drips with a spatula. The batter will fill each can about 1/3 of the way. Place cans on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
- 6Once fully baked, remove the baking sheet and cans from the oven. Place the cans upright on a wire rack to cool for 12-15 minutes. Run a sharp knife along the inside of each can to loosen the cake, then invert. Stand the cakes upright on the wire rack to cool completely, another 10-15 minutes.
- 7In a small bowl, combine caramel sauce, toasted coconut and chopped pecans. Mix well. Reserve 2 Tbsp in small bowl.
- 8Once the cakes have cooled, cut them in half horizontally, creating two layers. On a serving plate or small cardboard round, place the bottom half of each cake, cut side up. Spread a layer of the caramel coconut mixture across the top of each bottom piece, dividing the mixture evenly between the two cakes. Place the top layer of each cake over the filling, frost with your favorite chocolate frosting. Place 1 Tbsp of the reserved caramel coocnut mixture on top of each cake, creating a decorative frosting border around the top (see above photo), and voila!
PER SERVING *
|Calories1170Calories from Fat590|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat590|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.