- 1 pound white fish fillets (firm, such as cod)
- 4 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 9 ounces smoked salmon (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 leek (thinly sliced)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg (freshly)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3 hard-boiled eggs (peeled, quartered)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley leaves (fresh, chopped)
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry (thawed)
- 1 egg yolk (beaten with 2 tsp water)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 6 individual pie dishes.
- Place fish fillets in a saucepan. Cover with milk and add bay leaf. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and poach over low heat for 4-8 mins, until fish is just cooked through. Strain milk and set aside. Discard bay leaf. Break cooked fish into bite-sized pieces, removing any bones. Place in a bowl with smoked salmon and set aside.
- In a frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add leek and cook for 5 mins, or until soft. Stir in flour, cayenne, nutmeg and mustard powder. Cook for 1 min. Whisk in reserved milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 2-3 mins. Add eggs, herbs and fish. Season to taste then spoon into pie dishes.
- Cut 6 squares of puff pastry, slightly larger than tops of pie dishes. Arrange over pies and crimp edges with a fork to seal. Make 2 slits in top of each pie and brush with egg wash. Place pie dishes on a baking tray and bake for 30-40 mins, until golden brown.
PER SERVING *
|Calories500Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.