Mini CroissantsLa Cocina de Babel
Nothing is better than a buttery, flaky croissant. Made with a combination of strong and plain flour, the dough for the croissants is mixed together in a stand mixer. Leave yourself plenty of time to make these croissants as you must do many different folds of the dough with additional butter in order to achieve a flaky pastry in the end. Be sure to brush the croissants with an egg wash before baking for an attractive, shiny finish.
- 150 grams strong flour
- 250 grams plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 500 grams butter
- 200 milliliters cold water
- 1 beaten eggs
- seeds (Ssesame, for garnish, optional)
- 1Melt 75 grams butter and set aside the remainder at room temperature.
- 2Place the flour, salt, melted butter and water in a bowl or food mixer. Mix together to form a dough ball.
- 3Wrap in plastic film and refrigerate for 1–2 hours.
- 4Lay out the dough on a lightly floured surface and make 2 cuts in the shape of a cross. The dough will spread out to widen the cross shape.
- 5Place the butter in the center of the cross and fold over into a parcel with the butter in the center.
- 6Roll out to form a rectangle.
- 7Fold the dough into three from the short side to form three layers. Make a mark with the fingertip to signify the first folding. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 8Turn the dough 45 degrees and roll out and then fold in three again.
- 9Repeat this action 4 more times, and mark each folding with a fingertip.
- 10Roll the dough into a rectangle and cut out small triangles.
- 11Roll up each triangle from the widest side and shape into the croissant or half-moon.
- 12Preheat the oven to 200C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- 13Place the croissants, well spaced out, onto the baking tray and brush with beaten egg.
- 14Sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
- 15Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and crispy.
PER SERVING *
|Calories260Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat190|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.