- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (diced)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour (sifted)
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 tablespoon strong black coffee
- whipped cream (to serve)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease 2 baking pans.
- To make choux pastry, combine butter, sugar, salt and 1 cup water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium heat. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until pastry comes away from sides of pan.
- Transfer to a large bowl and cool slightly. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until mixture is shiny and smooth. Spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a plain 1/3 inch tip. Pipe 3 inch-long, 3/4 inch-wide éclairs onto prepared pans, leaving space between for spreading.
- Bake for 20 mins. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F and bake for 10 mins, until golden brown and crisp. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the glaze, place powdered sugar in a small heatproof bowl. Gradually add enough coffee to moisten, stirring until smooth. Place bowl over a pan of simmering water on low heat. Stir for 3 mins, until glaze is glossy and smooth. Add more coffee, if needed.
- Split éclairs and fill with whipped cream. Spoon glaze over top and stand for 5-10 mins, until glaze sets.
|Calories50Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.