- 3/4 cup milk (warm)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- strawberry jam (to serve)
- whipped cream (to serve)
- Combine milk, 1 tbsp sugar and yeast in a small bowl. Let stand for 5-10 mins until frothy.
- Meanwhile, sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Stir in remaining 1 tbsp sugar. Stir in butter mixture. Mix to a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 mins until smooth. Place into a large, oiled bowl. Cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap. Let stand about 45 mins or until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough to remove air. Knead until smooth. Roll out on floured surface to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 1 3/4-inch round cookie cutter, cut into rounds. Place the doughnuts on lightly greased baking pans. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let stand about 20 mins or until doubled in size.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Deep-fry doughnuts, 3 or 4 at a time, turning, for 3-5 mins until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towels.
- Mix remaining 1 cup sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Toss warm doughnuts in cinnamon sugar. Serve with jam and cream. (For doughnut sandwiches, cut each doughnut in half, spread one side with jam and cream, then top with remaining half.)
|Calories80Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat20|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.