Mini Churros with Dulce de Leche Hot ChocolateINGRIDSTEVENS
Add All to Shopping List
Add to Meal Planner
- Make the churros: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and fit a pastry bag with a 1/2-inch star tip; set aside. Combine 1 cup water, the butter, shortening, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and the salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon, then reduce the heat to low and stir vigorously until the mixture forms a ball, about 1 minute. Let cool slightly, then transfer the dough to the pastry bag. Pipe 1-inch logs onto the prepared baking sheet, using kitchen shears to snip off each piece (you should have 26 to 28 churros). Let rest at room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the hot chocolate: Bring the milk to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the chocolate, dulce de leche and cinnamon stick. Cook, stirring, until the chocolate melts and the mixture is combined, about 2 minutes. Cover and keep warm over low heat.
- Fry the churros: Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or large pot until a deep-fry thermometer registers 360 degrees F. Combine the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar and ground cinnamon in a large bowl. Working in three batches, fry the churros until golden and crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a rack set over a baking sheet. Let cool about 5 minutes, then add to the cinnamon sugar and toss to coat.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the hot chocolate and divide among mugs. Top with whipped cream and drizzle with dulce de leche. Serve with the churros.
|Calories830Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat290|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.