- 4 eggs (3 whole and 1 white)
- 1 cup sugar (+ 2 tbsp)
- 8 edible flowers (small, such as begonias, optional)
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 3 1/2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 vanilla pod (seeds scraped out)
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 lemon (grated zest)
- 12 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 1/4 ounces jelly (blackcurrant)
- 2 tablespoons crème de cassis
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 drops red food coloring
- To make decorative flowers, beat the egg white with 1-2 tbsp water. Spread 2 tbsp sugar on a plate. Dip the flowers in the egg white and shake off any excess, then carefully roll in the sugar. Lay on a piece of parchment paper and allow to dry overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 8 inch springform pan. Beat the butter, cream cheese, vanilla seeds and 1 cup sugar until creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Mix the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt together and stir into the cheese mixture along with the lemon zest and 2 tbsp lemon juice. Spoon into the pan and smooth out. Bake for 45-50 mins, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- In a bowl, mix the jelly and crème de cassis until smooth. Remove the cheesecake from the pan and cut horizontally into 3 equal pieces by inserting a knife into the center and rotating the cake around it. Drizzle each layer with 2 tbsp lemon juice. Spread the bottom layer with half the jelly, then set the second layer on top. Spread with the remaining jelly and set the final layer on top. Cover with foil, then place a board or plate on top for weight and chill for 4 hours.
- Remove the board and foil. Using a 2 inch diameter pastry cutter, cut out 8 circles from the cheesecake. Sift the powdered sugar into a bowl, add 4 tbsp lemon juice and stir into a thin icing. Color pale pink with a few drops of red food coloring. Spread over the tops of the cheesecakes and allow to set. Decorate with the flowers and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories490Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.