- 3/4 cup cake flour (sifted)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (divided)
- 1 cup egg whites (from 7 to 8 large eggs, at cool room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- fruit (Fresh, or berries, for topping, optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Sift cake flour and powdered sugar into a bowl. Add sea salt and 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and set aside.
- Place egg whites in metal KitchenAid® Stand Mixer bowl. Sprinkle over cream of tartar. Fit Stand Mixer with the whisk attachment and whip on medium speed for 30 to 60 seconds or until frothy. With the Stand Mixer running, gradually add remaining 1/4 cup of sugar. Increase speed to high and whip until egg whites form medium-soft peaks, about 3 to 5 minutes. Unlatch bowl from Stand Mixer base.