The caramelized onions that top these seasoned pork burgers can be prepared up to a day ahead of time. Cover and refrigerate; reheat on stovetop or in microwave to serve. Serve with Honey Cream Coleslaw and potato chips.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork (lean)
- 2 tablespoons beer
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 sweet onion (large, peeled and sliced thick)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 sandwich buns (large)
- In large bowl mix together ground pork, beer, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Form into four large patties, about 1/2 inch thick, handling as little as possible. Prepare a medium hot fire in grill.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy skillet, sauté onion slices in butter over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, until onions are soft and start to caramelize; keep warm. Grill patties directly over fire until nicely browned on both sides, for a total of 12-15 minutes, until an instant read thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Serve on buns topped with sautéed onions.