Despite its fancy French name (mille feuille is translated to a thousand sheets) and restaurant pedigree, this layered sweet is simple enough to prepare at home, thanks to the availability of good-quality frozen puff pastry. In this version, the pastry is first baked until flaky and crisp, then sprinkled with powdered sugar and broiled until nicely caramelized. Use a serrated knife to cut the pastry into rectangles, which are filled with a rich custard, with raspberries and grated green apples as tart counterparts.
- 1 sheet puff pastry (thawed if frozen)
- 2 egg yolks
- 60 grams granulated sugar
- 30 grams cornstarch
- 1/4 vanilla bean
- 250 grams whole milk
- 1 1/2 gelatin sheet
- heavy whipping cream (25 cl., plus 2 tablespoons)
- 35 grams powdered sugar
- 300 grams fresh raspberries
- 1 green apple (cut into sticks, keeping the skin)
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Bake it between 2 cooking sheets (so that it cooks without rising too much) for 30/35 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Caramelize it by passing it under the gril. Be careful not to forget to remove the parchment paper that would ignite under the grill.
- Prepare the custard: whisk the egg-yolks, the granulated sugar, and the vanilla together with the cornstarch.
- Heat the milk until warm and add the egg / sugar / cornstarch mixture and stir over low heat so that it thickens.
- Pour directly into a bowl and cover it with plastic film to prevent the formation of a crust. Allow to cool.
- When the vanilla cream is cold, whip it to give it a more uniform consistency.
- Put the gelatin in a bowl of cold water to soften it.
- Whisk 25 centiliters of heavy whipping cream until it becomes chantilly whilst incorporating 35 grams of icing sugar.
- In a small bowl heat up 2 tablespoons of heavy cream.
- Wring out the gelatin and stir it in the hot cream, mix well to make sure it is properly dissolved.
- Blend the cream with the vanilla mix.
- Gradually add whipped cream by gently lifting the mix so that it remains foamy.
- Pour it into a pastry bag fitted with a fluted or a simple tip, depending on the shape you want to give. Let it cool on the refrigerator for 2 hours before using.
- Cut the puff pastry dough into 12 rectangular units, using a bread knife with a saw blade.
- Place a line of vanilla cream and then add the green apple and the raspberries. Cover with another rectangle and sprinkle with icing sugar.
PER SERVING *
|Calories410Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat170|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.