Pork chops bake with root cellar vegetables in this hearty dish from the Prairie. Serve with a green salad tossed with vinaigrette and whole grain dinner rolls.
- 6 ribeye (rib) pork chops (3/4-inch thick)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups potatoes (peeled, sliced 1/4-inch thick)
- 2 cups carrots (pared, sliced 1/4-inch thick)
- 2 cups onions (sliced 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; brown chops about 2 minutes per side, season with salt and pepper, set aside. Combine potatoes, carrots, onion, salt, marjoram and pepper; mix lightly. Place in 13x9-inch baking dish. Pour milk over potato mixture. Top with chops; cover with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours, until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 160 degrees F on the chops and vegetables are very tender.