- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground caraway
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I used Grapeseed Oil)
- 1 cup minced onion (finely)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger root (minced)
- 1 1/4 pounds extra lean ground beef (I used beef with 7% fat)
- 14 1/2 ounces tomatoes (petite dice)
- 2 teaspoons seasoning (Baharat, or to taste; some versions of this mixture are quite spicy so check your package)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- fat free greek yogurt (for serving, if desired)
PER SERVING *
|Calories180Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Temple 30 Jun
Fantastic! Like another reviewer, I had to salt to taste but that’s easy enough to do. I didn’t have the Baharat seasoning but there are plenty of recipes online for it.
Norys T. 11 Jun
I loved it! Was delish!
Gentry M. 6 Nov 2017
Great recipe. Needed to add salt, though
Kiran Choudhry 6 Nov 2017
I loved the spice mix and would increase the amount of cardamom next time. I also added chill powder and didn't have Bharat mix but used falafel mix they have at our local supermarket in Toronto, also used roasted red pepper and tomoato mix instead and was delicious! Ate it over quinoa. Will make again !
Chantilly McKinnon 17 Oct 2017
I used four real tomatoes and one cup of water instead of the called for tomato amount and had to add twice as much spice as what it called for came out perfect
Kirsten Ballantyne 23 Sep 2017
Very tasty! Will be making this again. I also got the baharat seasoning from Amazon. Only a couple of pounds as an add on item
Ashley Binion 15 Sep 2017
It came out very blad.
Amy H. 7 May 2016
I bought the baharat spice mix through amazon prime for $6. This is easy, quick, yummy and different. My supermarket has been out of fresh cilantro for months..which is weird... But the dish still was great with out it. I will definitely be making this again
Abigail M. 2 May 2016
We loved it! So many delicious flavors and all the spices and flavors blended together beautifully. I didn't have cilantro on hand but the fresh mint was perfect. We had the meat mixture over basmati rice with a cucumber and radish salad with kefir dressing on the side! Yum!
Chuck Y. 11 Nov 2015
My daughter and I liked this recipe, but we had to use 3x as much baharat to give it flavor. She and I would give it 4 stars. My wife and other daughter would give it 2 stars, so we made it a 3. We followed the recipe exactly as written except for tripling the spices.