- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast (Trimmed)
- 24 white corn tortillas (4-Inch, 6-Inches Works As Well)
- 1 cup crema (Preferably Centroamericana Style Or Sour Cream, In A Squeeze Bottle*)
- 1 cup queso fresco (Crumbled)
- 2 limes (Cut Into Wedges)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves (Fresh, Packed)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 5 cloves garlic (Crushed Under A Knife And Peeled)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 quart orange juice (Preferably Fresh)
- 12 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 Orange (Cut Into Quarters)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 cups green cabbage (Shredded, About 14 Ounces)
- 3 cups red cabbage (Shredded, About 9 Ounces)
- 2 carrots (Julienned)
- 1 fresno chile (Julienned*)
- 1 Granny Smith apple (Unpeeled And Julienned)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro (Finely Chopped)
- 2 plum tomatoes (Seeded And Cut Into 1/4-Inch Dice)
- 1/2 white onion (Medium, Cut Into Thin Half-Moons)
- 1/4 cup lime juice (Fresh)
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup (Dark)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Make the marinade, process all of the ingredients in a blender to combine. Place the pork in a bowl (or a zip-tight 2-gallon plastic bag) and add the marinade. Cover (or close) and refrigerate, occasionally turning the pork, for at least 8 and up to 16 hours (or overnight).*
- Make the pork, let pork stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place pork and marinade in a large Dutch oven. Add orange juice, condensed milk, salt, and bay leaves. Tuck in the orange quarters. Pour oil over the pork. If needed, add water to almost cover the pork. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover tightly and bake, occasionally turning the pork over, until the meat is very tender, about 3 hours. Let stand at room temperature, uncovered, until cool enough to handle, about 1 hour. Transfer the pork to a carving board. Discard the cooking liquid. Using your fingers or two forks, shred the pork.
- Make the Green Apple Slaw, in a large bowl, toss all of the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Heat a large griddle over high heat. In batches, place the tortillas on the griddle and heat, turning once, until hot. Stack the tortillas on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven until ready to serving. Alternatively, you can quickly warm in the microwave.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add half of the shredded pork and heat until the underside is crisp and browned, about 2 minutes.
- Turn and crisp the other side for about 1 minute more. Transfer to a bowl, cover with foil, and repeat with the remaining pork.
- To serve, place the pork in the tortillas and top with slaw, a drizzle of crema, and a sprinkle of queso fresco. Serve with lime wedges.
- Serves 8 (3 carnitas each)