Mexican Tacos or TortillasO Meu Tempero
It's surprisingly simple to make tortillas from scratch. You'll need to pick up a bag of maize flour before getting started; you can find it at most supermarkets and of course at Mexican food markets. The maize is mixed with wheat flour (self-rising if you have it, otherwise not), seasonings, and hot water to make a dough. To form the tortillas, you simply divide up the dough, roll out thin, and cook in a dry skillet.
- 150 grams wheat flour (i used rising flour)
- 100 grams corn flour
- 200 milliliters hot water
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch salt
- 1In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- 2Make a hole in the middle and add hot water gradually, stirring with a spatula until it turns into a consistent dough.
- 3Sprinkle the work surface with flour and knead for 5 minutes.
- 4Divide the dough into 12 pieces (or 6 for large tortillas).
- 5Roll out with a rolling pin until they are thin.
- 6Heat a frying pan (without any fat) and place a tortilla at a time until the edges begin to curl for just a few seconds.
- 7Repeat the same operation for the other.