- 3/4 cup brown rice (uncooked, sub white rice if desired)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 red pepper (diced, I also added a green pepper)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 jalapeno (minced)
- 1 pound ground beef (sub ground turkey or chicken if desired)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup Mexican cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- avocado (for topping, optional)
PER SERVING *
|Calories550Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Kathlene D. 19 Dec 2017
I really liked this as well - as mentioned below, makes for a really good burrito filling (that's how my 13-year old son had it; hubby & I ate it right out of the skillet, and my 10-year old picky eater only had a little bit on a taco shell). Used ground turkey. The heat of the salsa will affect the spiciness.
Margaret Riese 28 Jun 2017
We loved it. Perfect for quick lunch. My husband works nights so we only eat one meal and we eat just before he goes to work. Perfect for something filling and has stay power.
Devilayn 4 May 2017
The dish turned out great. I made a few substitution to make it a meatless dish. I substituted the meat with vegetarian chili and omitted the cumin and paprika. Instead of jalapenos I added red pepper flakes. The last substitute was the corn instead I used mixed vegetables. I topped it with avocado as directed and added my own twist with a dollop of sour cream and a few diced tomatoes. This recipe is very tasty.
Heather Holloway 25 Apr 2017
I love this dish! It's easy, filling, and delicious! I added a poblano pepper and a teaspoon of cinnamon for a little extra something. I love eating it by itself or in a tortilla.