- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 1 onion (sliced thin)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped coarse)
- 4 zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds, scrubbed, quartered lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 3/4-)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno pepper (drained minced)
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup frozen corn (fresh or thawed)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (crumbled)
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack (coarsely)
- In a small bowl whisk together the cumin, the chili powder, the cinnamon, the vinegar, 1 of the garlic cloves, minced and mashed to a paste with a pinch of salt, 1 tablespoon of the oil, salt and pepper to taste, coating the chicken with the spice paste, and grill it on an oiled grill set about
- 6 inches over glowing coals or in an oiled ridged grill pan set over moderately high heat, turning it once, for 12 to 15 minutes on each side, or until it is cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, in a skillet cook the onion in the remaining
- 2 tablespoons oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until it is lightly golden, add the remaining 2 garlic cloves, minced, and the tomatoes, and cook the mixture over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, the broth, the jalapeno, the bell pepper, the corn, the oregano, salt and pepper to taste and simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until the zucchini and bell pepper are tender.
- In a large flameproof shallow casserole combine the zucchini mixture and the chicken, sprinkle Monterey Jack over the top, and broil the mixture under a preheated broiler about 6 inches from the heat for 1 minute, or until the cheese is bubbling.
|Calories670Calories from Fat410|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat410|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.