- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 ounce taco seasoning mix
- 1 onion (large, finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 30 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes (crushed)
- 3/4 cup self rising flour
- 1 ounce instant polenta
- 3 tablespoons butter (chopped)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 ounce Mexican cheese (grated)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 13 1/2 ounces red kidney beans (rinsed)
- 1 1/4 cups fresh cilantro (coarsely chopped)
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add ground chicken and cook for 3-4 mins or until browned. Add seasoning mix and cook, stirring, 1-2 mins, or until combined. Set aside.
- Add remaining oil and cook onion, garlic and celery for 3-4 mins, or until onion softens. Add tomato, crushed bouillon cubes and 6 cups water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 mins. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Purée until smooth, working in batches if necessary. Transfer to a clean pot.
- Meanwhile, place flour, polenta and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter to make fine crumbs. Add egg, cheese and enough milk to form a sticky dough.
- Bring soup to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, add ground chicken and beans. Carefully drop spoonfuls of dumpling mixture into soup. Simmer, covered, for 15 mins, or until dumplings are cooked. Serve sprinkled with fresh cilantro.
|Calories830Calories from Fat270|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat270|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.