- 4 pounds pork loin roast (boneless)
- 3 cups chips (wood, use hickory or oak chips for best flavor)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 lemon (small, sliced thin, about 1/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (crushed)
- Place pork loin in a shallow dish. In small bowl, combine dry rub ingredients; sprinkle evenly over all sides of loin. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours. At least 1 hour before grilling, soak wood chips in enough water to cover. Drain wood chips. Wrap chips in aluminum foil; poke several holes in foil (to allow smoke to escape).
- Charcoal grill: Place preheated coals around a drip pan for medium indirect heat. Add 1/2 inch hot water to drip pan. Place foil packet of wood chips over the coals. Place loin on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 1 1/2 hours (about 20 minutes per pound) or until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 145 degrees F. Remove roast from heat; let rest about 10 minutes.
- Gas grill: Place foil packet of wood chips over direct heat (under the grill rack). Preheat grill to 400 degrees F. Place loin on one side of grill. Turn burners off directly under loin, keeping the other burner(s) on. Cover and grill for 1-1/2 hours or until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 145 degrees F. Remove roast from heat; let rest about 10 minutes.
- Sauce: In medium saucepan, combine barbecue sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, lemon and seasonings; mix until blended. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Makes 1-1/2 cups sauce.
- Serves 10-12.
- During last 20 minutes of grilling time, brush with Thick ’n’ Tasty Sauce, turning after 10 minutes.
- Serving Suggestions: Cut into 1/2-inch slices and serve with additional sauce. Or, make into sandwiches by cutting pork loin into very thin slices and serving on buns, topped with sauce.