- 5 pounds pork back ribs
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 16 ounces pomegranate juice (100% *)
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 scallions (white and green parts, chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- Season ribs with salt and pepper.
- For a charcoal grill: prepare an indirect medium-hot fire with drip pan in the center.
- For a gas grill: heat grill to medium and turn off burners directly below where ribs will go.
- Lightly oil cooking grate. Place ribs over indirect heat (over drip pan or unlit burner). Close grill hood and cook until ribs are tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (If using charcoal, add more charcoal briquettes to fire, if necessary, to maintain grill temperature of about 325-350 degrees F.)
- Meanwhile, bring pomegranate juice to a boil in medium saucepan over high heat. Boil until thickened and reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 15 minutes. Stir in ketchup, molasses, soy sauce, scallions and garlic. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- During last 20 minutes of cooking ribs, baste ribs with sauce. Ribs are done when meat pulls away from the bone.