Meat-filled Zucchini in a Tomato SauceL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Four different types of meat—ground beef, ground pork, sausage, and bologna—are combined in the filling for zucchini in this hearty main course. The zucchini are first blanched to make tender, stuffed with the meat mixture, topped with cheese and a homemade tomato sauce, and baked until everything is heated through and the cheese is melted, followed by a quick pass under the broiler to give it some tasty browned spots. All this in less than an hour.
- 6 zucchini
- 1 red onion
- 100 grams ground pork
- 100 grams ground beef
- 2 sausages
- 100 grams bologna
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 ounces white wine
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 5 ounces mozzarella cheese
- tomato basil sauce
- parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- 2Wash the zucchini well and blanch them in boiling salted water for 5 minutes.
- 3Drain the zucchini, slice them in half lengthwise and carefully remove the pulp. Set aside.
- 4Place 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Add the onion and saute for up to 5 minutes.
- 5Add the pork, beef, sausage, bologna, and the zucchini pulp to the onions and cook for a few minutes.
- 6Add the white wine and cook until it to evaporate completely.
- 7Season with a pinch of salt and the chopped basil, remove the saucepan from the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- 8Place the mixture in a bowl. Add the eggs, breadcrumbs, cheese, and pinches of white pepper and salt. Combine all the ingredients well, adding a few tablespoons of milk if the mixture is too firm.
- 9Lightly oil a baking dish, add the zucchini and fill with the meat filling.
- 10Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese and cover with the tomato sauce.
- 11Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- 12Change the oven setting to broil and cook for about five minutes or until the cheese begins to brown. Serve warm.
PER SERVING *
|Calories700Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat450|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.