- 1 green cabbage
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (pork, veal, or a mixture)
- 5 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 1 onion (diced)
- 5 ounces feta cheese (diced)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Remove 16 large leaves from the cabbage. Reserve the remaining cabbage for another use. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a pinch of salt. Blanch the cabbage leaves in batches by plunging into the boiling water for about 2 mins. Remove the leaves from the pan, rinse in cold water then drain.
- Mix the meat, breadcrumbs, mustard, tomato paste and egg in a large bowl. Stir in the onion and feta and season. Flatten the cabbage leaves by trimming some of the thicker ribs. Divide the meat mixture into 16 portions and roll into balls. Place one portion in the middle of each cabbage leaf. Fold the leaves around the filling and roll up. Secure by tying with kitchen string.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Cook the stuffed cabbage, turning, for about 3 mins. Add the stock and bring to a boil.. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, for about 45 mins. Check the pan every so often and add more water as needed.
- When cooked, lift the stuffed cabbage from the stock and keep warm. Mix the cornstarch with a little water until smooth. Add to the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 min, stirring. Season. Remove the string from the stuffed cabbage. Serve with the sauce.
PER SERVING *
|Calories650Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.