Marzipan CakeL'Antro dell'Alchimista
In ltaly where almonds are grown, the almond-sugar paste confection known as marzipan extends the nuts' enjoyment year-round. As the star in this moist cake, it's creamed and incorprated into the batter, infusing it with nutty sweetness. Once it's baked in a cake or loaf pan and left to cool, a glazing of chocolate fondant sets its flavor profile over the edge.
- 200 grams butter (melted)
- 100 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200 grams marzipan (roughly chopped)
- 4 eggs
- 250 grams flour
- 75 grams corn starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 milliliters milk (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 200 grams icing (chocolate fondant)
- 1Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- 2Beat the melted butter with the sugar and vanilla until creamy.
- 3Add the marzipan and the eggs, one at a time, and mix well.
- 4Mix together the flour, cornstarch, and baking powder, and add to the mixture and mix well.
- 5Add the almond essence and milk, and mix until smooth. Mixture should resemble ribbons when falling from the spoon.
- 6Grease a 30-centimeter loaf or cake pan with butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Pour in the mixture and smooth the surface with a spatula.
- 7Place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes. Insert a knife or toothpick to test it is thoroughly cooked inside.
- 8Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- 9Remove from the pan and leave to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- 10Cover with fondant icing.
PER SERVING *
|Calories1020Calories from Fat420|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat420|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.