Don't be put off by the lengthy ingredient list; most of them are spices that you are likely to have on hand, or that you may want to stock up on to make this and other Indian-style curries. Toasting the blend of spices brings out their aromatic oils and is an essential step in building the flavor of the dish. Here, cauliflower, green peas, and chickpeas are a traditional vegetarian option, as is the onion, garlic, and fresh ginger as the other seasonings.
- 1/2 teaspoon indian saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon spices
- 1/2 teaspoon beans (black mustard)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon beans (white mustard)
- olive oil (to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 onions (finely chopped)
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger (piece, finely chopped)
- 1/2 cauliflower
- 280 grams frozen peas
- 280 grams canned chickpeas
- 200 milliliters light coconut milk
- water (if necessary)
- 200 grams basmati rice
- 5 lime leaves
- 1 lime (juice)
- 1 lime (sliced)
- In a bowl, mix the saffron, coriander, paprika, 4 spices mix, black mustard seeds, turmeric, cloves, and white mustard seeds.
- In a large saucepan, slightly heat the olive oil.
- Add the spice mixture to the pan and let the aromas release for a bit while stirring.
- Once the spices are golden - be careful to not let the mix burn - add the garlic, onion, and ginger and cook on a low heat.
- Add the cauliflower, saute for about 5 minutes, then add the frozen peas and chickpeas.
- Drizzle the vegetables with coconut milk and simmer another 10 to 15 minutes, depending on how the cauliflower is cut. If the sauce is too strong or the coconut milk evaporated, add water to the mixture and season with salt if necessary.
- Cook the rice with water, salt, 2 lime leaves, and a little bit of olive oil.
- Once the rice is cooked, add the lime juice and some more lime leaves.
- Serve the curry with the rice, fresh cilantro, and a few slices of limes.
PER SERVING *
|Calories450Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.